Friday, February 23, 2024

ESDM to continue plans for Inalum bauxite smelter project

Reading Time: 2 minutes
Audina Nur

Journalist

Editor

Interview

Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) Arifin Tasrif recently unveiled plans for the continuation of the bauxite smelter project by PT Indonesia Asahan Aluminium (Inalum), which is targeted to be completed by 2027. This announcement came following a closed-door meeting with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at the State Palace on Monday, February 5, 2024.

“We are planning to build a smelting facility, with processing facilities at Inalum. The plan is to have it completed by 2027,” he told reporters on Monday.

Arifin emphasized that the smelter project would require electricity supply from clean energy sources. The electricity needs of the smelter are expected to be fulfilled by State-owned electricity company PT PLN.

He, however, declined to provide further details regarding the project, including its location and the estimated cost of building the new smelter.

Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati has remained cautious when asked about potential capital injections for the project. “We will see,” Sri Mulyani remarked.

Inalum is currently completing the bauxite smelter project to produce alumina, known as the Smelter Grade Alumina Refinery (SGAR) Mempawah Phase 1 in West Kalimantan. Construction progress has reached 80 percent as of December 2023, with the first alumina production targeted for the third quarter of 2024.

SGAR Mempawah Phase I, with an investment value of US$831.5 million, is expected to increase smelter grade alumina (SGA) production capacity to 1 million tons, with an upstream bauxite absorption capacity of 3 million tons.

Furthermore, Inalum plans to proceed with Phase II of SGAR Mempawah, potentially increasing alumina production capacity to 1 to 2 million tons in the future. The investment requirements for the second phase are expected to be similar to Phase I. Inalum is currently conducting a beauty contest to select strategic partners for the joint venture in the development of the second phase.

Previously, the government removed the SGAR Mempawah project from the national strategic project list through the issuance of Ministerial Regulation No. 9/2022 in late July 2022. This decision was made due to delays caused by disputes between the consortium members of the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contract, which is 75 percent controlled by China’s state-owned enterprise China Aluminium International Engineering Corporation Ltd. (Chalieco) and the remaining 25 percent by PT Pembangunan Perumahan (PP).

The strategic project for bauxite ore refining is managed by PT Borneo Alumina Indonesia BAI), with majority ownership held by Inalum (60 percent) and the remaining 40 percent by PT Aneka Tambang (Antam).

The SGAR Mempawah project has been reinstated as a national strategic project.

Audina Nur

Journalist

 

Editor

 

Interview

SUBSCRIBE NOW
We will provide you with an invoice for your reimbursable expenses.

Free

New to Indonesian market? Read our free articles before subscribing to the premium plan. If you already run your business in Indonesia, make sure to subscribe to the premium subscription so you won’t miss any intelligence & business opportunities.

Premium

$550 USD/Year

or

$45 USD/Month

Cancelation: you can cancel your subscription at any time, by sending us an email inquiry@ibp-media.com

Add keywords to your market watch and receive notification:
No topics
Schedule a free consultation with us:

We’ll contact you for confirmation.

FURTHER READING

Iwan Satriawan, a Constitutional Law Professor at the Muhammadiyah University Yogyakarta, has raised concerns about the Constitutional Court’s effectiveness in performing its check and balance duties, stating that the current system has been compromised.
State-owned energy company Pertamina has undertaken a restructuring within its subsidiaries and sub-holdings, appointing Chalid Said Salim as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pertamina Hulu Energi (PHE).
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) plans to open international tenders to accelerate the development of household gas networks (jargas), which have long been stagnant.
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) is gearing up to initiate a significant infrastructure development endeavor in Batam City, scheduled to commence in July 2024. This ambitious project involves the construction of gas networks (known as jargas) through a collaborative effort between the government and private entities under the Government-Business Partnership (KPBU) framework.
Election Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) has brought several concerns regarding the organization and vote counting of the 2024 elections, recommending specific measures be taken in 1,496 polling stations (TPS), an equivalent to 0.18 percent of the total 820,161 TPS across the country’s 38 provinces.
An expert at the Presidential hopeful Prabowo Subianto and Gibran Rakabuming Raka team reveals that the pair has devised a plan to establish a new coordinating ministry to manage free lunch and milk program if they are officially declared winner of the 2024 presidential election.