Destiawan Soewardjono, President Director of PT Waskita Karya, was named as a suspect in a corruption case related to the use of fictitious project funds, which resulted in state losses. The Attorney General’s Office (Kejagung) has named Soewardjono as suspect a corruption case for misappropriation of funds in 2016-2020.
Destiawan Soewardjono was appointed by the Minister of State Owned Enterprises Erick Thohir as the President Director of PT Waskita Karya through the General Meeting of Shareholders (GMS) on February 14, 2023. Previously, Soewardjono has led various projects such as PLTGU Borang, Surabaya-Madura Bridge, and East West Motorway in Algeria.
“One of the suspects is DES as the President Director of PT Waskita Karya (Persero) Tbk, for the period from July 2020 until now,” said Ketut Sumedana, Head of the Attorney General’s Legal Information Center on April 29, 2023.
The corruption case was triggered by Soewardjono ordering funds to be dispersed using fake documents to pay off the company’s debts. The company’s debt was caused by disbursement of payments for fictitious projects at the request of Soewardjono, the funds was originally provided as a financing facility from several banks. The Financial and Development Supervisory Agency (BPKP) stated that the state suffered IDR 2.54 trillion losses.
So far, as many as eight other suspects in the case of embezzlement of funds, including Soewardjono, have been named as suspects. The AGO also seized IDR 41 billion in assets, 14 vehicles, one housing unit, cash in foreign currency, and two plots of land.
“We know that this case is currently in stage I, we have handed it over to the research prosecutor team to examine the file,” said Kuntadi, Director of Investigation for the Junior Attorney General for Special Crimes (Dirdik on Jampidsus) back in March 13, 2023.
Other suspects include in the corruption case include:
- Haris Gunawan, DIrector of Finance and Management of Waskita Karya
- Muhammad Rasyid Ridha, Claim Change Management Manager (CCMM);
- Bambang Rianto, Director of Operations II Waskita Karya;
- Taufik Hendra Kusuma, Director of Finance and Risk Management at Waskita Karya;
- Agust Wantoro, Marketing Director of Waskita Beton Precast;
- Benny Prastowo, Waskita Beton Marketing Expert Staff;
- Agus Prihatmono, ex-General Manager of Waskita Beton;
- Anugriatno, retired Waskita Beton;
- Hasnaeni, Main Director of PT Misi Mulia Metrikal (MMM);
- Kristadi Juli Hardjanto, General Manager of PT Waskita Beton Precast;
- Jarot Subana, Main Director of Waskita Beton Precast; And
- President Director of PT Arka Jaya Mandiri.
These suspects abused their authority to procure goods in government projects by procuring materials that could not be utilized, and several procurement of material goods that could not be followed up. The suspects used the company’s name and flag and then made fake letters to order goods accompanied by fake receipts for fictitious goods.
The fictitious projects include a number of toll road projects, such as the Cisumdawu toll road, Cibitung-Cikampek toll road, Bogor-Ciawi-Sukabumi toll road, and several other projects.